Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Teen Day

This morning I had a serious flashback to my days at I.E.S. Nuestra Senora de la Cabeza. I gave presentations to two groups of students about "Life in the USA." I think it went pretty well. I was expecting there to be about 20 or 30 students, but it turned out to be way more. The first group had about 50 and the second group was closer to 75! There weren't even enough chairs and some students had to sit on the floor. Surprisingly, I didn't feel nervous at all. I think I am a lot more comfortable and confident in front of the classroom than I was two years ago. 

I started off with a powerpoint slideshow with pictures of the US and told them about culture and traditions and what not. Their favorite slide seemed to be the one featuring Halloween costumes; I didn't even tell them I had hand-made my own m&m costume! 

I was surprised that they actually had facilities to project a powerpoint presentation at the school. From what I have observed so far, that is definitely not the norm here. The classrooms at the university (in the humanities building at least) don't have computers or any other technology, just chalkboards. They do have portable CD players you can use if you want to do a listening activity, but so far I have only seen professors using tapes. I don't really mind in general, because I think it's still easy to plan fun, interactive lessons without technology, but it might be nice to show a youtube clip or something occasionally. Perhaps I could just bring my own laptop some day since my classes tend to be rather small.

So, back to my adventure at an Argentinian high school! After my presentation, I opened it up to questions from the students. They had come up with some questions for me beforehand. I think their teachers may have helped them, because I basically got asked the exact same questions both hours. Some were rather entertaining. Here's a sampling for your enjoyment:

1. Why are you here?
2. What do you think of Obama?
3. Do you have a boyfriend?
3. Can you dance cumbia?
4. What do you think about Osama bin Laden's death?
5. Is it easy to become at actor in the US?
6. What do you think about Obama's Nobel Peace Prize?
7. Were you a cheerleader?

There were some other good ones as well, that I can't remember right now. I think I did a pretty good job answering the questions objectively and clearly on behalf of all Americans. haha. The students were attentive for the most part and lots of them were rather smiley. I think they were pretty excited to have me there. When they left there were lots of very friendly goodbyes and even one "I love you." In the hallways between classes different students saw me and said hi and got all giggly and excited when I responded to them. I think now I know how Justin Beiber feels everyday. 

2 comments:

  1. Did you have to demonstrate cumbia dancing?
    I wish your K-12 teachers could have seen you! You are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaha "were you a cheerleader?"
    now you have to tell me what you answered to all of those questions.

    ReplyDelete